Today I was going through items in my closet that I don't wear anymore. I have a huge bag of things to donate. There was one sweater though that I didn't necessarily want to get rid of, but I never wear it. I decided to make a few changes to it this morning so that it's wearable for me.
The gathering at the neckline was pretty, but I didn't like the satin drawcord or the buttons covered in the same fabric. A few of the buttons had fallen off anyway. It was a sample so they were not stitched on very well to begin with. The neckline and sleeves were finished with a knit rick rack that had tiny sequins stitched into it. I pretty much just don't wear sequins. I don't love the color either as I hardly wear pink so I thought if it wasn't so monochrome I might enjoy it more.
I've seen a few sweaters recently that had mismatched buttons and I really loved the idea so I decided to try that concept out here. It also was the best solution for me as I didn't have a set of 12 matching buttons.
The most time consuming task was sewing a new drawcord. I used a cotton material with a light floral pattern. Drawcords are easy to make, but they take time because it involves a lot of tiny folds, ironing, and a careful steady hand to sew a straight line on the edge.
The changes were simple and pretty quick, but overall they made a big difference. I'm excited to wear my new, old sweater!