I worked my last day at Columbia Sportswear on Friday. I have worked there for about 4 1/2 great years. It was definitely a bittersweet situation. I really loved the work I was doing. I have grown so much as a designer since starting there. I also had fantastic co-workers. It felt so strange to leave. To be honest, I really didn't want to. After having Pearl though, I knew that 50 hours a week away from her wasn't going to work anyway. I'm still sad about the whole situation, but I'm glad I get to spend more time with Pearl.
My last day was a great day though.
My friend Karen made me cookies. I ate five.
Trust me, the cookies were a lot better than they look in this photo.
After eating all of those cookies, a group of ladies surprised me with a going away breakfast and a sweet card.
Then I had lunch with our creative director.
Lots of food generally makes for a good day in my book.
I actually did some work, too.
After my work was done, I handed off my glass head to the new accessories designer. The head is filled with faux fur. He was kind of a conversation piece at my desk. I will miss him.
Other things I will miss:
1. The opportunity to be creative every day and the feeling that I am contributing to something really special.
2. Seeing the work I have done being worn on the street or in print.
3. Going through samples for the first time each season and getting to see the line completed.
3. My amazing co-workers.
4. The MacBook Pro and super sweet giant monitor.
5. Adobe CS5 (I have CS2 at home, it feels super ancient to me)
6. Free bagel and donut day.
7. Sand volleyball and barbecues in the summer.
8. Business trips
Things I will not miss so much:
1. The commute
2. Pumping in the bathroom.
3. Missing my baby
It's hard leaving something so good. But, getting to spend more time with my little sweetie right now is totally worth it.