I make these whole wheat banana muffins a lot. We love them, but I have been looking for a way to mix things up a bit. I decided to make a gluten free option. After a little experimenting, I came up with this recipe. They are super moist and just so good. I really had no idea that gluten free muffins could be this delicious.
1 1/2 cups almond meal/flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large ripe bananas (or 3.5 - 4 small bananas), mashed
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
Sliced almonds for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease your muffin pan. I used coconut oil to grease mine.
2. Combine dry ingredients in one large bowl. Mix bananas, honey, applesauce, and eggs in a second bowl. Then stir your wet ingredients into the dry. Add in chocolate chips if desired.
3. Fill your muffin cups 3/4 full.
4. Place sliced almonds on top (optional)
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. This should make about 18 muffins.
6. Let them sit for at least 20 minutes before removing them. They should set up pretty well, but are more fragile since they don't have traditional flour. I managed to get 17 of 18 out of the cups fully intact.
Let me know if you try them!